Saturday, February 13, 2021

Lithium-Ion Power Tools and Lawn Equipment: Inexpensive, Effective, and Quite Convenient

 

Lithium-Ion Power Tools and Lawn Equipment: Inexpensive, Effective, and Quite Convenient

These days one can go to stores like WalMart and find an array of power tools that run on lithium-ion batteries. These include weedeaters, hedge trimmers, edgers, leaf blowers, portable vacuums, chain saws, circular saws, rototillers, snow blowers, pressure washers, push mowers, and even riding mowers. Power tools like circular saws, jigsaws, drills, and many others reduce the need to plug in and to have wires draped all over work sites. In several versions one can use the same battery for most of those tools, which can save costs. Indeed, as in most lithium-powered devices the battery is often the costliest component. Indeed, DC brushless motors have revolutionized several products and the quality of these products is bound to improve through time.

The earliest versions of these tools were lower in power due to cost and stifled by battery efficiency. Newer versions are more powerful and can be cost competitive with gas powered equipment. They can also be performance competitive with gas powered equipment.

Advantages of electrified tools include no need for cords and grid power when running, no need to buy and mix fuel, no combustion fumes, very low maintenance, and much reduced operational noise.

I believe that as battery tools improve in quality and efficiency, that they will in many cases largely replace gas-powered tools and corded tools. The trend is already underway.  

The lithium economy began with small devices powered by bulky and heavy lithium batteries. The early bag phones, camcorders, and other devices were heavy and more limited in utility. As battery tech improved the lithium-ion batteries got smaller and began to replace traditional batteries at a lower cost and longer life than traditional batteries. Smaller batteries and improvements with microprocessors allowed many devices to get smaller.

I have a 60V cordless chain saw. It is clearly not as powerful as my gas chain saw but the convenience makes it choice for small cuts. No mixing fuel but it still requires bar chain oil. No fumes. It’s quieter. The battery only lasts about half an hour though. There are 80V chainsaws now. Having to replace my push lawn mower this year after about 8 years with my gas mower I was going to buy another gas mower, but I saw the electric mowers were all on sale at very good discounts. I have a lot to mow. I ended up buying an 80V for about $130 more than the equivalent gas mower would have cost me. With savings on fuel, oil, filters, and spark plugs I should recoup all of that extra cost at some point. It is a Kobalt and so far, I am very happy with it. The battery lasts about 1 hour and 15 minutes. It also takes 1 hour and 15 minutes to charge, which is fine since after mowing for an hour and 15 minutes on a hot day I’m usually ready for a break. It is comparably quiet. It has no fumes. My previous gas mower had been giving off more fumes the last year. It also doesn’t give off as much heat (ICE engines give off heat, brushless electric motors do not). It doesn’t vibrate as much. It has a bit less power, but it cuts up twigs just fine. I like less power in some ways like kicking up less dust and I’m guessing if I hit something it won’t bend the blade as easily. It has one lever that raises or lowers all the wheels at once – quite convenient. None of the gas mowers I looked at had that feature, but I know some do now. No buying, transporting, storing, and spilling gasoline. No buying or changing oil, air filter, or spark plug. No pulling the rope and hoping for the best. I have a lithium weedeater that is ready for its 8th year in operation and the batteries still charge good. It is not a powerful one but does the job for me. It came with two 20V batteries that can be switched and last about 15 min each. There are much better ones out now. I must say I look forward to future quality cordless lithium powered tools and lawn equipment.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment